SucSeed Curriculum Development Position
(Open now till April 10th)
Work Structure: 4 Month Contract (16 Weeks)
Reports to: CEO
Location: Home / Remote
Salary: Hourly pay
Start Date: TBD, tentatively mid-April
Job Summary & Requirements:
SucSeed exists to bring hydroponics into classrooms to encourage a simple, easy, and environmentally sustainable practice that is delicious and rewarding. SucSeed is looking to support teachers by providing them with learning instruction and activities tied directly to curriculum outcomes in subjects: Math, Science, Language Arts, Health with a focus on Food Security, Environmental Sustainability, Healthy Eating and Buying Local. SucSeed Hydroponic Grow Gardens are currently in 600 classrooms across Canada and looking to double that number by year end 2020.
SucSeed is looking to hire a Curriculum Development Lead, this is a contract position P/T (4 months). This job requires working closely with the CEO, you will have the opportunity to develop innovative curriculum-linked programming for elementary school students in grades 3-6 that will allow them to explore environmental issues, engage in problem solving, critical thinking and team work through an inquiry based approach. All while increasing the awareness and knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the classroom.
- Identify themes and key curriculum (grade 3-6) links related to SDGs.
- Develop school-based programming for each grade level focused on raising awareness of food security, science, health and/or environmental impact.
- Identify/create/acquire program materials to support learning and activities.
- Assist in creating marketing materials as necessary to promote SucSeed’s education program to school and community groups.
- Work closely with the communications team to develop marketing initiatives promoting programming and resources.
- Additional tasks related to program development as they arise.
- A post-secondary degree in Environmental Studies, Education/Teaching, Child Studies or similar.
- Hands-on experience in elementary-level education.
- Strong knowledge of program design, program/curriculum development, teaching and inquiry-based learning strategies.
- Previous experience in curriculum/program development, preferably at the elementary level or in community programming.
- A strong commitment to a learner/community centred educational approach.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Creative thinker willing to explore new ideas, techniques and approaches to foster appreciation of the environment.
- Capable of working effectively in collaboration with others, as well as independently
- Demonstrated ability to write in a clear and consistent style with grammatical accuracy
- Familiarity with grade 3-6 provincial curriculums (NS, NB, PEI, NL), 3+ years relevant professional experience in teaching, science, and/or health education.
- Competency in using Google Docs, or Google Classroom.
- Experience with hydroponics/indoor growing.
- Teacher network in Atlantic Canada.